Sunday, October 19, 2008

Road Trip

Yesterday we left Redmond Oregon headed toward Somewhere South Dakota. I'm not exactly sure where we are going, just that we are supposed to arrive tomorrow in South Dakota. South Dakota is supposed to have excellent pheasant hunting so that is the reason for the craziness of this road trip. 

On this trip "we" is Joe, Lindsay, Addison, Carla (my mom), Scott (my dad), Dena (g-ma), Lauren (g-pa) and three dogs. We set out in two cars at two different times on Saturday morning and met for the evening in Missoula Montana. Here are some stats from day one:
550 or so miles
4 states
3 stops in the first 2 hours
1 toddler meltdown
1 tire on fire (thankfully it wasn't ours)!
1 run-in with Johnny Law

The first day was pretty uneventful and I wish I would have been able to take some pictures of the beautiful fall colors in Idaho. The tamarack trees are a brilliant gold color accented against the pines. It really is beautiful. 

Day two brought LOTS of driving.  We left Missoula around 7:30am and drove for about 12 hours. Montana also has beautiful fall colors. Most of the day was a good drive. Addison has been a super trooper and has adapted to all day in the car seat. She's actually getting pretty good at putting her shape toys in the right spot. Today also brought a bit of frustration. Carla, Dena, Addison and I were in one car while Joe, Scott and Lauren are pulling our house. We ended up having a little misunderstanding about where we were going to stop for the evening and drove an extra 31 miles. Usually this isn't a big deal, but Addison was letting us know that she was ready to get out of her car seat. 

We didn't have very good directions to the RV park that we were supposed to stay at and we were lost. After turning around on the interstate once, passing our traveling partners as we were going the other direction, and then each car getting two different sets of directions to the same place, we decided to bag our original plan and drive to the next town. Hence the extra 30 miles. I really wish I had been able to record some of the conversation in our car today. I was laughing so hard I really thought I would wet my pants! Good thing this isn't tourist season or we probably wouldn't have been able to find a spot in an RV park. We really would have had to camp at Wal-Mart as Dena suggested (except I doubt that there is a Wal-Mart within 100 mile)! 

So tonight we are in Sundance Wyoming and we haven't seen the sun all day. It is very cold! Tomorrow we are planning to arrive in Somewhere South Dakota. I sure hope we have directions to Somewhere South Dakota!

No comments: