Monday, March 3, 2008

Who is Mother Goose and What was She Thinking?

Have you ever wondered why nursery rhymes have such horrible endings? Joe and I were online one night trying to figure out the words of some nursery rhymes. They seem so innocent but when you start to say them to your baby you wonder if you really should. Maybe it's ok until they really understand what the nursery rhyme says. They don't leave a very nice image in your mind when you read them. Here are some well know nursery rhymes with not so great endings...


Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall:
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Cannot put Humpty Dumpty together again. 


Jack and Jill went up the hill,
to fetch a pail of water,
Jack fell down and broke his crown 
and Jill came tumbling after.


Jerry Hall was so small, 
a rat could eat him, hat and all!!


There was an old woman who live in a shoe.
She had so many children she didn't know what to do.
She gave them some broth without any bread.
She whipped them all soundly and put them to bed. 


Three blind mice. See how they run!
They all ran after the farmers wife,
Who cut off their tails with a carving knife.
Did you ever see such a thing in your life
As three blind mice?

There are some others that were even worse, but too long to type here. Check out www.mothergoose.com for the words to some of your favorites and even some lesser known nursery rhymes (probably good that they stay lesser known!).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have wondered the same thing! Another example would be "Rock-a-bye baby..." when the "cradle will fall".

Addison looks so cute! I think Megan and I are going to steal your idea and do a blog ourselves!

Lindsay Cameron said...

Hi Tony! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. At least now I know that I have more than one reader :) When is little Maddie supposed to arrive???

Rachel said...

I love it, whip them and put them to bed!!
Just kidding!
Lots of those "old" stories are pretty morbid. Why couldn't they make up rhymes about nice things? Butterflies, clouds, pudding, chocolate, I think I am hungry.

Lindsay Cameron said...

You mean that's not how I'm supposed to put my kid to bed? Just kidding Rachel. I heard your friend came to Redmond and didn't offer you a ride. Bummer...maybe next time :)

Anonymous said...

I agree. I came across a bedtime story recently that involved "nibbling on his toes". I didn't think that was a good idea..... - Megan

Rachel said...

He is going back next month, maybe I will hitch a ride!!

Lindsay Cameron said...

Rachel,
Bring the whole family...stay for a week! We would love to see you no matter how long you can stay :)