Friday, February 15, 2008

Cupcakes Galore


I found a recipe for Red Velvet cupcakes with buttercream frosting in one of my magazines. It sounded yummy and perfect for Valentine's Day so I made a batch the other day. I think I ended up with nearly 3 dozen cupcakes. I sent some home with my cousin Lauren and there was still about a dozen left. I decided to take them when we went to dinner with our friends Darrin and Terese last night. Great plan (or so I thought).

Yesterday morning I went to the grocery store to get wine for dinner and I bumped into Terese (I went to this store on a whim - I NEVER go there). She mentioned that she was going to make pink cupcakes for dessert. "Oh don't make cupcakes, I already made some and I'm planning to bring some," I told her. "Perfect!" she said.

When I got home I decided to put the cupcakes on a nice platter. My platter was up high in the cupboard above the stove and the cupcakes were sitting on a plate on the stove. When I got the platter down, I didn't realize that there was a small plate inside the platter and it fell and shattered all over the stove sending glass onto the plate with the cupcakes and probably into the frosting. One dozen cupcakes went into the trash. I arranged the other dozen on the platter and put them back in the fridge. Later in the day, I was in the fridge and had to move the cupcake platter when I accidently dumped that dozen on the floor! Another dozen cupcakes in the trash! Now I'm out of cupcakes I already told Terese that would take the cupcakes for dinner!!

I dashed up to the market by my house, bought the three ingredients that I was lacking for the recipe and a container of frosting (I wasn't going to make the frosting again) and at about 2 pm I started another batch of cupcakes. Joe got home from work and saw the mess and asked "you're making more cupcakes?" I said don't even ask, it's been a long day!



The cupcakes made it to Darrin and Terese's house without incident and we had a great dinner (except I don't know if anyone even ate a cupcake!). The finished product is in the picture at the top.
Oh if you are wondering...No, I haven't finished painting the bedroom yet!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I love it that someone else gets days like that, but I am sorry about the huge mess, broken plates/platters, and ANOTHER trip to the store with a baby!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rachel! I knew someone else would understand :)